Skip to main content

Daily Practice - Inner Mean Girl Reform School and Life



Enrobed by an inch think layer of ice, my back deck gazebo glows in the early morning darkness.  This has been one of the challenges with continuing my early morning practice of getting up before everyone else to have some sacred time to write or meditate---the morning  darkness.  Summertime meant taking my laptop to the deck, where the trill of birdsong and the gentle breeze across my arms caressed my senses awake---reminding me of the power of the universe---and the glory of being part of it. 
Winter meant returning to the dining room where the warmth of the furnace and sound of the refrigerator running were poor replacements.  Still, the birdfeeder offered up a view of nature, albeit through glass the helped keep the connection.   Without knowing it, I had created a sacred place to work and craft and connect with myself and nature.  At this table I create and write and meditate (half lotus on the dining room chairs is not has hard as one might think!) 
For this week in Inner Mean Girl Reform School we are working on creating a practice that we will commit to for at least 40 days.  It doesn't need to be long, but has to allow you to take a pause---just for you---to meditate, draw, write--do something that your soul aches to do that you have put aside.  It might even be something you didn't even know was gone. 
I feel blessed that this lesson I learned some time ago. This is my sacred space, my place of pause and every night when I go to bed, I am genuinely excited for the morning to come, because I know this time, before anyone in my house is awake, is my sacred time to spend with me. 
By establishing this practice for 6 month now, I am confident that I can keep it up when I return to work.  In this way, I put my life before work---literally.  I can meditate, exercise, write, reflect, cook--whatever I like, and KNOW that I am me, I am not my work, and I am worth the time each day to reconnect with myself and the universe. 
My small world is cozy and warm today and I am grateful.  So many people are without power and heat as I sit watching the Christmas tree lights blink on and off in the darkness of my living room.  Outside, in the big world, giant branches from thousands of trees litter the sidewalks and streets.  The sky scape will look very different this summer with so many bountiful trees cut so low. 
I will send some energy to those in need this morning, and count my blessings for where I am in the physical and spiritual world today. 
As always, I am a Work in Progess.....

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Guidepost #7 Cultivating Play and Rest

The sky, dark blue fading to purple, then  pink and orange---in this instant --- it is hard to tell if it is the morning or night.  Perhaps in contradiction to the title, I am up early to write.  This is my playtime.  Writing is something that brings me both joy and a sense of accomplishment.  The Adult Day Treatment Program was my what kept me anchored to reality during the early months of my collapse.  Learning about anxiety, medications, depression, relaxation all made sense tome--had value--and could be immediately applied to my situation.  I took copious notes, I participated in class, I reflected, I did what I know best---see problem---tackle problem. What was difficult for me, was understanding the value of our "recreation" hour (a.k.a. crafts or games). I remember feeling a bit like I was in a movie or on some gag reel and I was the only one not in on the joke as people moved to pick up half painted wooden b...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...