Skip to main content

ADHD at 58....Can That be True?


It's come up several times through a variety of people, websites and doctors as I navigate my decades long mental health challenges.  At 20, I was told it was anxiety, at 30, it was bi-polar
disorder type 2, at 43 it was major depressive disorder with anxiety, and at 55 we swung back
around to bipolar.   Each of these "episodes" lasted from 2-3 years and impacted my ability to work.  Thank goodness each place I worked had excellent LTD.   Seems like every 10 or so years the cycle swings back around and knocks me on my ass regardless of what's going on.  
It's frustrating.  


When my ex-husband left me 6 months into my pregnancy and 9 months into our marriage, you would think this would be one of those times.  Emotional collapse?  Deep dark depression?  Nope.  I responded to that by doing the hard work to move from part time to full-time work, bought a house, and stayed strong so I could bring my son into the world heathy and happy. I even reconciled with his dad for a bit, before we realized it was over.
Instead, it snuck up on me when I least expected it.  


I was a teacher at a grade 8-10 school in northern British Columbia.  I had been teaching long enough that I knew all the basics and was enjoying upping my game through creative new lesson plans.  I was "on" at work.  I was a rock star and was connecting with my students, even though the school board had cancelled the improv, film studies and theatre arts courses I had developed for them and enjoyed teaching the most. Those losses were disappointing, so I threw myself into connection building and high level engagement with my English classes.   
What did it was the change. 

Three weeks into the school year the school realized they had not budgeted for an appropriate student/teacher ratio and needed to re-timetable the entire school, which meant all new classes would be generated from the central scheduling program.  I was going to lose all my students I had worked so hard to build a solid foundation with.  When I reviewed my new class lists I noticed I had 4 students well known to have failed the year and had some big personality issues.   I went to my VP and principal to complain and was told, it you want to, you can call some other teachers to see if they will take one or two of these kids.   It was Friday after school and classes were scheduled to start on Monday.  I was desperate.  I made the calls.  Each teacher refused.  


I left the school that day, shell shocked, and in tears, and made an appointment to see my doctor who gave me a note for 2 weeks off for stress leave.  I contacted the schools Employment Assistance Program's office and booked an appointment with a therapist, that resulted in her telling me "I cannot help you when you are like this.  I can't understand you through the crying.  Come over here right now and call your doctor and ask for an emergency appointment so you can get some pharmaceutical support so we can talk."

And that was that.  For the next six months I hid in my room, (I lived across the street from the school I worked at so never left the house during the school day except for appointments.)  I cleaned out my desk during March Break when no one would be there and eventually left BC and returned to school to try something different. 
  
I went back to school.  And here again, is one of those times you would think I would be falling apart. But one year after I left teaching I was enrolled in a Maters of Library Information program back in my home town in Ontario.  I had to pack up my life, take out loans, leave my newly purchased house and hope for the best.  I moved in with my mom for a few months, not a good idea. Took classes, did an 8 month co-op, moved out of my mom's and eventually lost my house to the bank.   Mental collapse?  Nope.  Stress?  Yes.   But worked through it, graduating on the Dean's list all while killing it as a single mom pulling up huge debt.
  
The other "breaks" at 43 and 55 followed similar paths.  Work was the driver of decline. Years of therapy have made me recognize that I get incredibly invested in my work, whatever that is, and am unable to see or manage burn out in the early stages.   Either that, or I ignored the signs.   Like at my most recent job.  When I had the opportunity to move from part-time to full-time I knew that meant more meetings, more obligations and my friends and family all warned me to stick with what I was doing as the added responsibilities would cause the all familiar burn out.  
  
But back to the original point of this post.  I am currently off work and again lucky to be able to rely on LTD to maintain my way of life without having to worry about bills.  At a recent appointment with my family doc, he asked me if I had ever been diagnosed with ADHD.  I told him no and we moved on.   With my psychiatrist the following week I brought up the ADHA question.  Unlikely, he said.  You would know by now.  I thought the issue was closed until they both brought it up a few months later, so I started to do some digging.

Woman in front of computer
ADHD in adult women often looks like inattention, executive dysfunction, emotional sensitivity, and perfectionism, rather than overt  hyperactivity. Recognizing these patterns is 
crucial for proper diagnosis and support. With appropriate treatment, including therapy, 
coaching, lifestyle adjustments, and 
sometimes medication, women with ADHD can manage symptoms effectively and thrive in daily life (Cleveland Clinic. 2023).

Common symptoms include:
Adult women with ADHD typically experience inattention and executive functioning difficulties more prominently than hyperactivity or impulsivity. Common signs 
include:
It feels good to read this list.  It's an exhale into my body, though it doesn't alleviate the years of punishment these symptoms have caused.   More to come as I dig in to this to find out what now?  What's next?  How do I use this information to help me as I slowly come out of this newest off work period.


 Work Cited

ADDA Editorial Team. (2025, Nov. 12). ADHD in women: signs, symptoms, and Treatment. Understanding ADHD. ADHD in Women: Signs, Symptoms, and Treatment - ADDA - Attention Deficit Disorder Association

Cleveland Clinic. (2023, Feb.15). ADHD in women. ADHD in Women: Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment

Psychology Today. (2026, Feb. 25). How is ADHD different in women than it is in men?:Why so many high-achieving women miss the signs of ADHD. How Is Adult ADHD Different in Women Than It Is in Men? | Psychology Today


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Guidepost #7 Cultivating Play and Rest

The sky, dark blue fading to purple, then  pink and orange---in this instant --- it is hard to tell if it is the morning or night.  Perhaps in contradiction to the title, I am up early to write.  This is my playtime.  Writing is something that brings me both joy and a sense of accomplishment.  The Adult Day Treatment Program was my what kept me anchored to reality during the early months of my collapse.  Learning about anxiety, medications, depression, relaxation all made sense tome--had value--and could be immediately applied to my situation.  I took copious notes, I participated in class, I reflected, I did what I know best---see problem---tackle problem. What was difficult for me, was understanding the value of our "recreation" hour (a.k.a. crafts or games). I remember feeling a bit like I was in a movie or on some gag reel and I was the only one not in on the joke as people moved to pick up half painted wooden b...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...