Skip to main content

Human, Being


Imagine you have been an at amusement park all day, wandering the park, going on rides, eating and the park is closing and you are heading home.  Half way home you suddenly get this weird feeling and reach for your wallet.  It's not in your pocket, or your purse.  You pull over and it's not in the car.  You rack your brain to remember the last time you had it in your hand.  You remember setting it on the toilet paper dispenser in the bathroom. OMG, maybe you left it there.    

Ok so that, that right there, that stomach flip feeling of dread, terror, guilt, self-deprecation, fear, your mind racing to how you will possibly replace all your ID, cancel your credit cards, THAT is the feeling I have been living with every morning when I wake up.

It's a new experience.  The other two times I have been off work, trying to unspool my doom spirals, I was always able to get up in the morning.  It's possible, I got up those times because I had something to do.  I had kids that needed breakfast, dogs that needed out, but now I am frozen in my bed.

"What do you mean by 'frozen;'?" my therapist asks.

"Well like I don't want to open my eyes, or move."

"What would opening your eyes and getting out of bed mean?"

"Well, I don't know what to do.  I mean when I do get up, I get dressed right away, take my meds with a protein shake and feed the dogs if they haven't been fed by the Spouse yet.  But then what am I supposed to DO? I just don't know.  I can't face that, so I keep my eyes closed and pray to go back to sleep."

"What sorts of choices do you have for things you GET to do when you wake up?  Could you go for a walk?  Read? Meditate? Bake something?  Can you create a list before bed so you have choices in the morning?"

"Yes, I have tried that.  But when I review the list I consider each one carefully and go down each road and still can't decide what is the 'right' thing to do.  Then I am exhausted from the mental gymnastics of trying on each idea and now I have no motivation to DO anything."

"Why do you have to DO anything?"


"I am off work!  The Spouse works two jobs.  I need to DO something.  I can't not DO something. Otherwise, what value do I have?  I am just taking up space."

"Is it possible to recognize that you are in fact doing a lot of things?  You are getting up and dressed and taking your meds and eating something each day.  You are going to therapy, you are seeing your doctor, you are practicing the things we talk about each week......."

Hmmmmmmmm.  

"Remember, we are actually human beings---not human doings"  Can you just BE in the moment and check in with yourself, kindly and ask which of the many things that are available to you, will bring you joy--and do that first."

"Like listen to music?  Or read a chapter in my book? Or sit outside under the back yard umbrella and listen to my pond's waterfall".


"Yes!  Exactly!  By taking time to ask what brings you joy, you can start your day like that and that will help you connect with yourself.  You are so busy trying to think of what to do, you don't remember what it feels like to just 'be'".

This will take some time to get my head wrapped around---but I am happy to say I am making some progress.   I should be happy (my old therapist's voice rings in my head "stop 'shoulding' on yourself), and I am, but I am suspicious of what changed.  

For weeks I had this frozen bed problem and now, after yet another med change and continued therapy, I can actually get out of bed on my own and the frozen fear feeling just isn't there.  Is it the meds change?  (These new ones upset my stomach to the point of being incommunicado for let's say 30 min 3x a day).  Are they changing the chemistry in my brain alone or are they changing it enough that my therapy actually STICKS in my head (Often my therapist reminds me I have brought up the same issue in multiple sessions but I have no recollection.  Or is it just the therapy working and I am realizing how much control I have over my thoughts?   

My uncle is in town tonight and I agreed to go meet him for dinner and I am not even stressed about it even though I haven't seen anyone in MONTHS.  What's going on??

The frozen me has thawed somewhat.  I should celebrate because who knows if it will last beyond this day or even this moment.  So I won't go poking around in my head trying to figure out why things feel different and just take the win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Sometimes I get overwhelmed

Shame is A Full-Contact Emotion (Brené Brown)

It is a cool outside this morning and I have on my fluffy red robe as I sit outside and watch the birds flit back and forth from the fence to the feeder----arrogantly tossing aside imperfect sunflower seeds to get to the good ones.   The discarded seeds, some empty, some full, punctuate my deck, waiting for the squirrels, who will later claim this easy buffet. I am still reading Brené and The Gifts of Imperfection. Feels a bit like learning a new language ---I see the words---I hear the words---but the meaning is so diffuse...I need to read and reread and sometimes, even read out loud to make the words stick It is hard work.    And while the smooth cover of her book lies balanced on my palm, seemingly weightless, many of the concepts have a density that knocks me flat on my ass ---like a large medicine ball. CATCH THIS ONE!   Oooooooof!   I am down.    Eyes wide, trying to catch my breath, wrestling with the weight of hefty concepts like shame, authenticity, wholeh

Being Enough

I am grateful that the chapters in The Gifts of Imperfection are short.  Each one overflows with concepts that ask you to reach down to your very core and dig around a bit with a sharp object.  Sometimes you have to pull back and take a break.  Like at the dentist...when you have to put your hand up...they let you close your mouth for a minute....you stretch your jaw....rinse maybe.  "You ok to continue?" You lie back, take a breath, try to get comfortable, open up, look at the outline of the hand holding the drill backlit by that horrible light...and nod. Not to say it is all bad.  But this chapter on Exploring the Power of Love, Belonging, and Being Enough made me uncomfortable in my skin.  I squinted a lot.  Really, really trying to get at what she was saying without having to feel what she is saying....which is not the purpose.  So I had to read the chapter a few times.  Then I fiddled around on Facebook and Outlook to avoid starting this post. She starts out