Skip to main content

Just Like Clockwork : Back in the Mire

In 1998 it was bi-polar type II. In 2012 it was Major Depressive Disorder with Anxiety. Now in 2024 it's bi-polar type III (which I didn't even know existed). Is this a cycle thing? A result of supressing the whole COVID thing? Left over hormonal menopause issue? How did I end up here again---off work---depressed and anxious, in the ER---weighing my options between swallowing a million pills or carving up my wrists in the tub.
I don't want to be like this. Which turns into I don't want to be. It's a scary shit show and every place I seek help is throwing darts at a possible medicinal solution to get me back to my overperforming, perfectionist, self back on the stage at the front of a classroom. "You can't expect medicine to solve it all!" Yeah, I can hear you thinking that. I've been in therapy for six months now---as often as once a week and am currently juggling two therapists as I try something new. I used to know this stuff. I regularly advocate for this stuff. I TEACH this stuff in my classes for crying out loud. But now the words, the ideas, the strategies, I can't access them. They don't live in my brain any more. I have spent the last few days reviewing posts from my blog, from so long ago and hear the voice of stranger. Sure she sounds like she's got some stuff going on, but her words talk about meditation, reslience, connection, community and I can't find myself in there. It's eerie to read your own words and not be able to find a place inside you where they sound true. It all sounds like propaganda, some new age hype crap that pops up on your Insta.
When I look around me, all I see on this go-round is people doing things, lots of things, creative things, hard labour, intellectual things, all while seeming fine. They do "all the things" and also travel to exotic places, go camping up north, attend professioal development events in other provinces and smile while cooking summer feasts in the backyard. Sure, you're thinking everyone only posts the good stuff. Stop comparing! But my front window reveals people washing their cars, using elaborate garden gadgets to trim and tidy, walkers with ear buds, families with strollers and dogs. Everyone seems normal, which makes me feel even worse. How is it no one is running through the streets screaming about how life is painful and short and messy and you could die any minute or live in pain and misery for too long? How is everyone tolerating how broken the medical system is---overloaded and sinking----no lifeboats anywhere. Everyone I know is telling me to be patient, observe and don't get attached to feelings, find the flow and they promise with every ounce of their being that it will get better and that I have been here before and got out of it. So I have to trust them. Because I certainly don't trust myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Sometimes I get overwhelmed

Shame is A Full-Contact Emotion (Brené Brown)

It is a cool outside this morning and I have on my fluffy red robe as I sit outside and watch the birds flit back and forth from the fence to the feeder----arrogantly tossing aside imperfect sunflower seeds to get to the good ones.   The discarded seeds, some empty, some full, punctuate my deck, waiting for the squirrels, who will later claim this easy buffet. I am still reading Brené and The Gifts of Imperfection. Feels a bit like learning a new language ---I see the words---I hear the words---but the meaning is so diffuse...I need to read and reread and sometimes, even read out loud to make the words stick It is hard work.    And while the smooth cover of her book lies balanced on my palm, seemingly weightless, many of the concepts have a density that knocks me flat on my ass ---like a large medicine ball. CATCH THIS ONE!   Oooooooof!   I am down.    Eyes wide, trying to catch my breath, wrestling with the weight of hefty concepts like shame, authenticity, wholeh

Being Enough

I am grateful that the chapters in The Gifts of Imperfection are short.  Each one overflows with concepts that ask you to reach down to your very core and dig around a bit with a sharp object.  Sometimes you have to pull back and take a break.  Like at the dentist...when you have to put your hand up...they let you close your mouth for a minute....you stretch your jaw....rinse maybe.  "You ok to continue?" You lie back, take a breath, try to get comfortable, open up, look at the outline of the hand holding the drill backlit by that horrible light...and nod. Not to say it is all bad.  But this chapter on Exploring the Power of Love, Belonging, and Being Enough made me uncomfortable in my skin.  I squinted a lot.  Really, really trying to get at what she was saying without having to feel what she is saying....which is not the purpose.  So I had to read the chapter a few times.  Then I fiddled around on Facebook and Outlook to avoid starting this post. She starts out