Skip to main content

Just Like Clockwork : Back in the Mire

In 1998 it was bi-polar type II. In 2012 it was Major Depressive Disorder with Anxiety. Now in 2024 it's bi-polar type III (which I didn't even know existed). Is this a cycle thing? A result of supressing the whole COVID thing? Left over hormonal menopause issue? How did I end up here again---off work---depressed and anxious, in the ER---weighing my options between swallowing a million pills or carving up my wrists in the tub.
I don't want to be like this. Which turns into I don't want to be. It's a scary shit show and every place I seek help is throwing darts at a possible medicinal solution to get me back to my overperforming, perfectionist, self back on the stage at the front of a classroom. "You can't expect medicine to solve it all!" Yeah, I can hear you thinking that. I've been in therapy for six months now---as often as once a week and am currently juggling two therapists as I try something new. I used to know this stuff. I regularly advocate for this stuff. I TEACH this stuff in my classes for crying out loud. But now the words, the ideas, the strategies, I can't access them. They don't live in my brain any more. I have spent the last few days reviewing posts from my blog, from so long ago and hear the voice of stranger. Sure she sounds like she's got some stuff going on, but her words talk about meditation, reslience, connection, community and I can't find myself in there. It's eerie to read your own words and not be able to find a place inside you where they sound true. It all sounds like propaganda, some new age hype crap that pops up on your Insta.
When I look around me, all I see on this go-round is people doing things, lots of things, creative things, hard labour, intellectual things, all while seeming fine. They do "all the things" and also travel to exotic places, go camping up north, attend professioal development events in other provinces and smile while cooking summer feasts in the backyard. Sure, you're thinking everyone only posts the good stuff. Stop comparing! But my front window reveals people washing their cars, using elaborate garden gadgets to trim and tidy, walkers with ear buds, families with strollers and dogs. Everyone seems normal, which makes me feel even worse. How is it no one is running through the streets screaming about how life is painful and short and messy and you could die any minute or live in pain and misery for too long? How is everyone tolerating how broken the medical system is---overloaded and sinking----no lifeboats anywhere. Everyone I know is telling me to be patient, observe and don't get attached to feelings, find the flow and they promise with every ounce of their being that it will get better and that I have been here before and got out of it. So I have to trust them. Because I certainly don't trust myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...

Guidepost #7 Cultivating Play and Rest

The sky, dark blue fading to purple, then  pink and orange---in this instant --- it is hard to tell if it is the morning or night.  Perhaps in contradiction to the title, I am up early to write.  This is my playtime.  Writing is something that brings me both joy and a sense of accomplishment.  The Adult Day Treatment Program was my what kept me anchored to reality during the early months of my collapse.  Learning about anxiety, medications, depression, relaxation all made sense tome--had value--and could be immediately applied to my situation.  I took copious notes, I participated in class, I reflected, I did what I know best---see problem---tackle problem. What was difficult for me, was understanding the value of our "recreation" hour (a.k.a. crafts or games). I remember feeling a bit like I was in a movie or on some gag reel and I was the only one not in on the joke as people moved to pick up half painted wooden b...