Skip to main content

Pushing Play2

"It's normal.  Totally normal.  Like me, you are passionate about your job and Monday to Friday, working, has been the framework that's defined you.  And now it is gone, while you are off work, doing this other work, this really really important work, on you.  Weekends and weekdays don't hold the same meaning.  It can feel really scary...you feel out of control.  I use a big print calendar on my wall to help with that sense of floating around.  It helps, some."

She looked at me skeptically.  "Yeah, well it makes me feel like I have become stupid. Sometimes I feel like everything is on pause and then fast forward....."

"I feel that way too.  One of my therapists in big on mindfulness, and she has helped me understand how my biggest challenge is accepting how things are--right now, today---life on play so to speak.  I can't rewind and fix the past, I can't fast forward through all this hard stuff I need to go through to get well, and by pressing pause....I am missing out on everything."

M kicked at a rock with her foot.  "Missing out sounds fine by me." 


"It does sound peaceful doesn't it. Taking a break?  I get that.  This is messy shit...and it's ok to pause in it for a while.  But at some point, it's going to get uncomfortable, and smelly and boring on pause."

"But the whole thing is messy!  I don't want it to be messy!"

"Ok right. No one likes mess. Last year around this time, I was running around like crazy starting four or five projects a day.  Wandering from cleaning out the pantry, to painting the deck, to cooking dinner and then just walking out of the house to read on the back deck for two hours, only to come in and see three unfinished projects and then feeling like a loser for not even remembering to finish them .  It was a mess!"

Her shoulders fell. "I'm doing that too. I feel so stupid."

"See though, you can't rewind and stop it from happening.  You also can't skip past the mess to where it is all cleaned up.  Now you can stick with pause---I've done that---but then nothing changes.  The mess is still there.  So the only choice I have left, really, is to press play and practice living."

"Practice sounds fake.  I am too exhausted to practice living," she started back along the path.

"Ok wait.  Doctors practice medicine.  Lawyers practice law.  Lord knows they don't do those things perfectly.  All we can do is watch it play out in front of it and live our role, practicing all the things you are learning about how to be good to yourself."

"I guess."

"We're all here with you. Practicing too."













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Sometimes I get overwhelmed

Shame is A Full-Contact Emotion (Brené Brown)

It is a cool outside this morning and I have on my fluffy red robe as I sit outside and watch the birds flit back and forth from the fence to the feeder----arrogantly tossing aside imperfect sunflower seeds to get to the good ones.   The discarded seeds, some empty, some full, punctuate my deck, waiting for the squirrels, who will later claim this easy buffet. I am still reading Brené and The Gifts of Imperfection. Feels a bit like learning a new language ---I see the words---I hear the words---but the meaning is so diffuse...I need to read and reread and sometimes, even read out loud to make the words stick It is hard work.    And while the smooth cover of her book lies balanced on my palm, seemingly weightless, many of the concepts have a density that knocks me flat on my ass ---like a large medicine ball. CATCH THIS ONE!   Oooooooof!   I am down.    Eyes wide, trying to catch my breath, wrestling with the weight of hefty concepts like shame, authenticity, wholeh

Being Enough

I am grateful that the chapters in The Gifts of Imperfection are short.  Each one overflows with concepts that ask you to reach down to your very core and dig around a bit with a sharp object.  Sometimes you have to pull back and take a break.  Like at the dentist...when you have to put your hand up...they let you close your mouth for a minute....you stretch your jaw....rinse maybe.  "You ok to continue?" You lie back, take a breath, try to get comfortable, open up, look at the outline of the hand holding the drill backlit by that horrible light...and nod. Not to say it is all bad.  But this chapter on Exploring the Power of Love, Belonging, and Being Enough made me uncomfortable in my skin.  I squinted a lot.  Really, really trying to get at what she was saying without having to feel what she is saying....which is not the purpose.  So I had to read the chapter a few times.  Then I fiddled around on Facebook and Outlook to avoid starting this post. She starts out