Skip to main content

ARGH!! How to Accept When Things go to SHITE!



This is a new one to me, and I continue to struggle with the acceptance part--mostly due to how I define acceptance.  

In my mind acceptance means defeat followed by inaction---there is nothing you can do, after all, if you accept it.

I am of the Dylan Thomas "Rage, rage against the dying of the light...." philosophy on this one.

(Mostly I just want to punch this welcome sign!!! pffffffffff.....not so fast.)

Sista is reading a book that talks about acceptance, including how you have no control and how willpower is useless because we never stick to it and fighting against what is, is exhausting and just fills you with negativity.

I try to listen to the words she is saying when she tells me about this book.  

I can see it is important to her.  But the "you have no control" and "willpower and promises don't work so give them up," part is not in my wheelhouse. 

Sounds like a great hall pass to me.  (Not the movie...sigh...don't watch the movie...not THAT kind of hall pass).


See even EXCUSED has a red X behind it....not a check mark like it's a good thing......no wonder someone had to write a book on it to explain it.....
It did jog a memory lose in my mind though....
....and came up with  radical acceptance, something I learned about in ADTP (Adult Day Treatment Program) when I got out of the hospital after the "collapse".  

Accepting just feels way too passive, and I do NOT like feeling like things are out of control and I must just accept....which I am not sure Sista is talking about; but it is all I hear. 

How does someone say:  (hey these are't me saying them by the way...)

"I accept that my boss swears at me and belittles me."
"I accept that my (insert important person) has died." 
"I accept that I was molested as a child."

...and me (while being impressed to the utmost) is also a bit skeptical about it anyone who can be THAT Zen about it.  (Other than a Buddhist ---if you are a Buddhist, I TOTALLY see how you could say this and feel it and mean it. Otherwise, I think you are full of bullshit.)

Worse would be, people TELLING ME I have to accept something:

"You have to accept the fact that the dog ran away."
"You have to accept that you just aren't a good driver."
"You have to accept that fact that he left you for another woman, again."

That feels like a gauntlet, thrown at my feet, and you just KNOW I am all over that to pick it up and slap you with it.

The part about radical acceptance though that wins me over to at least sit, arms folded over chest and mumble "I'm listening...." is the adjective "radical".

Radical is defined most often as "complete, or extreme"---which helps describe how HARD it feels, at least to me, to accept things charged with strong emotions..... like anger, loss, and fear.

What interests me most about this particular way to manage life's fuckshittery, is that radical can also be defined as how new plants are grown from the root or stem that remains underground.  Any thing that implies new growth from something will always catch my attention.

On to exploring Radical Acceptance.......(personally I like the"radical" much more than the acceptance.  Reminds me of one of my favorite books by Bloggess Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson.)

How can someone be FURIOUSLY, happy? For her, it works! LOL

Work in Progress....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...

The Four Agreements - The Baseline

  So I bought the book.  It's smaller than I thought it would be.  Since I am always hoping that the solution to an problem can be found if you just look long and hard enough, I'm still not sure if short means it's an easy solution, or no solution at all. The book itself has some singing endorsements from many self-help gurus who I don't know other than by name.   It's disheartening to me to realize that there are thousands of folks out there preaching their brand of "if you just knew this, did this and continued to strive for excellence every day" because if any of them had the real secret (ah yes, then there is "The Secret") we would only really need one book/podcast/app etc. Thirty years ago the self help section at Chapters filled one rack top to bottom.  Looking for this book, I had to wander through ISLES of self-help, wellness and  spirituality before I found what I was looking for. How Chapters has evolved into a pillow/candle/water bottl...