Skip to main content

Trying on Type A Personality


Each time I speak to one of my mental health support team they seem delighted with my ability to "see what is going on" and recognize my own part in it.

They say I am "enlightened".

"While I do believe that not replacing the other manager in my department has meant a significant amount of stress and workload has been placed on my shoulders in a role I am not comfortable with, I also know work is doing what they need to do to keep the business moving forward in the best way they know how."

"Look at how much more clearly you are thinking!"

"I have expressed my concern about the direction work has chosen to take with my development after my stress leave, but could perhaps do so more clearly. 

My recent "outstanding"  review indicates that they are pleased with my performance.  I do have a role in how much effort I put in and perhaps am over extending myself to reach this level. I need to let my boss know I cannot keep up that level of performance."

"This sounds like an excellent communication plan for when you return to work! You are so much more aware of what is going on within yourself!  Most people don't have this level of enlightenment!"

Their delight is incredibly annoying.  

Enlightened, yeah I know the definition, but all I feel when I hear it is the 'light" part----like bright, blinding too hot, relentless LIGHT.  Tooooo much....too raw....burns....ahhhh ...TURNITOFF.  IWANTTHEDARK where it is PEACEFULANDQUIET and IDON'THAVETOBERESPONSIBLE!!!



I want to stamp my feet and point my finger and blame everyone around me because THEY are the ones who caused this.

So I try to acknowledge that there will often be days where I feel "enlightened" and days where I feel "endarkened?" ---and often they are the same day ---and I can swing back and forth every five minutes depending on what road I chose to let my mind wander away on.

Right now one of my coping strategies is to spend some days in internal work: self-reflection, reading, listening, writing, meditating, sitting. 

Other days I paint (rooms, not pictures), work in the yard and clean the house; something physical that requires external concentration and the external focus gives my brain a break.

The one thing I am coming to understand as I look around my newly painted house with the furniture all reconfigured and my spring ready garden with a list of 20 other projects looming---is that this is who I am.  

I am a busy person who gives a lot to whatever I choose to do.   I like to do things and see results.  These things I know for sure.

But what this also tells me is that this can be incredibly stressful  and frustrating in a world where you feel like you don't have the ability to influence where you spend all this amazing, creative energy, focus and determination. 

Which then means, that in ANY work situation, and in particular, one where you work in a framework dictated by others, there will OFTEN be times when you feel frustrated and stressed.

This leads to anger, resentment and often shutting down because you feel your best efforts are not requested or required. You feel stuffed in a box and told to be quiet.  

Finding the information on Type A people felt like an umbrella in a rainstorm of self-criticism and feeling a bit like a freak.  The majority of people (and we did an organizational personality inventory) work on a different energy level than I do--which makes you really start to question your sanity...and trying to be more like them...feels like stuffing yourself into shoes two sizes to small and acting like all is well! 

But I am not alone!  Type A abounds.  And I will try to delight in my understanding and EMBRACE my type A self instead of trying to change it!  

Let's look at how.....







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shame is A Full-Contact Emotion (Brené Brown)

It is a cool outside this morning and I have on my fluffy red robe as I sit outside and watch the birds flit back and forth from the fence to the feeder----arrogantly tossing aside imperfect sunflower seeds to get to the good ones.   The discarded seeds, some empty, some full, punctuate my deck, waiting for the squirrels, who will later claim this easy buffet. I am still reading Brené and The Gifts of Imperfection. Feels a bit like learning a new language ---I see the words---I hear the words---but the meaning is so diffuse...I need to read and reread and sometimes, even read out loud to make the words stick It is hard work.    And while the smooth cover of her book lies balanced on my palm, seemingly weightless, many of the concepts have a density that knocks me flat on my ass ---like a large medicine ball. CATCH THIS ONE!   Oooooooof!   I am down.    Eyes wide, trying to catch my breath, wrestling with the weight of hefty concepts like shame, authenticity, wholeh

Asking for Help

My oldest son walked into the kitchen last night while I was drying the pot I had just used to make marshmallow squares.  He leaned against the wall, eyes downcast, unfocused and spoke in a soft voice: "Mom.  Tomorrow.  Just so you know.  Something has happened and I cannot remember a SINGLE thing about ANY of the stuff that will be on the exam.  So.  Just so you aren't expecting anything.  I am going to fail the exam.  Probably need summer school.  Will have to quit my job.  Will get my university offer rescinded. But it is probably too late for summer school so.  It is just all over." I put down the pot and gave him a hug.  (no hug back) I told him it was fine. He was fine. He remembered stuff--he had an 87 going into the exam! You can't have marks like that if you don't remember stuff?! Right? I could see the tears forming in his eyes.  He still wouldn't look at me. "Ok.  Get your jacket we are going for a walk.  Your brain is in overload a

Being Enough

I am grateful that the chapters in The Gifts of Imperfection are short.  Each one overflows with concepts that ask you to reach down to your very core and dig around a bit with a sharp object.  Sometimes you have to pull back and take a break.  Like at the dentist...when you have to put your hand up...they let you close your mouth for a minute....you stretch your jaw....rinse maybe.  "You ok to continue?" You lie back, take a breath, try to get comfortable, open up, look at the outline of the hand holding the drill backlit by that horrible light...and nod. Not to say it is all bad.  But this chapter on Exploring the Power of Love, Belonging, and Being Enough made me uncomfortable in my skin.  I squinted a lot.  Really, really trying to get at what she was saying without having to feel what she is saying....which is not the purpose.  So I had to read the chapter a few times.  Then I fiddled around on Facebook and Outlook to avoid starting this post. She starts out