Skip to main content

Messy Mind

Ugh, things are getting messy.  I don't like messy.  

Messy like mixed up messy.  Like if you threw all your important papers on the floor--bills, notes, your taxes,  the key to your sanity from all your workshops and reading and notes---and then you dumped a bunch of other papers on top---and then laundry---and then the contents of your garbage can----then Cheerios-------- and rainbow glitter.  

I know the important stuff is there, somewhere buried,  and I am on my knees in the middle this smelly, deep, pile of crap----and I am in it by myself.  

I am trying to get to the stuff I need; the bits of wisdom I have been listening to and reading and exploring every day.  

But the piles are damp, from garbage or wet laundry---I don't  even know.  

The glitter is pretty, but there is no hiding all this crap.  
You can put glitter on crap.  But it is still crap.  

And the worst part is...what I need to do is to go through all the crap.

I suppose I could just put a tarp over it all and carry on?  It's too big.  I'll trip on it.

What about if I dress it up nice with some flowers?  That will only work for a while.  It's still a pile of crap....just now with dead flowers.  

I suppose I could just walk away?  Ughhhh....

Dig.

Each paper, held to the light, damp and wilting, covered in grime and glitter.
It is important.  
Is it?  
Sure.  
Why again?

Agitated.  Eat Cheerios to think.  Can't. Glitter. Garbage.  

Stomach rolls over.

Waves of nausea.  I can just get up and walk away......

It's there.  
What's there?
Whatever you are looking for.
Is it?   

It is impossible.  All of it.  

It's too much, this mess, and when I feel like I have no sense of control over my situation, I start to shut down.  

I hate this part. This part of getting dirty and messy and covered in Cheerios and a decomposing life and G-dam GLITTER!

So here I sit; it's week three all over again. The week in the adult day treatment program where you realize you are so much more broken than you thought.  

The part where you realize that this mess in front of you  IS YOU.



So you have the choice. 

Face it....
or
Walk away....

Today, I did my daily practice of opening my eyes when I woke up, closing them again and just asking, where am I today in my energy, I realized I am into my reserves. 

Today is a day to receive.  All this mess...all this work ahead of me....I can do...I know I can...but I need to get to a place where I have the energy to start the clean up process.  

I will see my naturopath today.  I will have a massage.  I will be happy I am home to pick up Youngest after his ball hockey try outs after school.  I will receive divine love and spirit from the universe today---and go outside to accept nature's blessing.  I will fill my chalice....

The mess isn't going anywhere.....

... neither am I.  

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...

The Four Agreements - The Baseline

  So I bought the book.  It's smaller than I thought it would be.  Since I am always hoping that the solution to an problem can be found if you just look long and hard enough, I'm still not sure if short means it's an easy solution, or no solution at all. The book itself has some singing endorsements from many self-help gurus who I don't know other than by name.   It's disheartening to me to realize that there are thousands of folks out there preaching their brand of "if you just knew this, did this and continued to strive for excellence every day" because if any of them had the real secret (ah yes, then there is "The Secret") we would only really need one book/podcast/app etc. Thirty years ago the self help section at Chapters filled one rack top to bottom.  Looking for this book, I had to wander through ISLES of self-help, wellness and  spirituality before I found what I was looking for. How Chapters has evolved into a pillow/candle/water bottl...