Skip to main content

January is the Dreaming Month 2016

It is the first day of 2016 and the first day of the month I devote entirely to opening my heart and soul to hear what the universe is whispering.  January is the dreaming month. 

It seems fitting that when the outside world is inside, that I should spend some time looking inward as well. Wrapped up in blankets and bed, peeking out at the cold icing sugar dusted world, I can get quiet, and just listen.  

That is why I reserve the whole month of January. So I can find those moments between children and work and housework and the mundane to reach deep in to quiet pockets of being.

Each year, they show up---beacons in the darkness that drag me back to the light, when the anxiety and depression sneak up on me and I feel myself going under.  

On days when I just can't make another decision, I follow them to a safe place, because I found them in my dreaming month when I was open and listening and the world felt a bit more stable.

Authentic ---it is the first and came to me today.  It came in the flash flood of fear that swirled around my ankles, threatening to knock me off my feet.  

I was watching TV and everyone suddenly seemed so young...and I felt so old.  Oldest is off with his girlfriend and starting his own life and I remember being that age, with so much that could be done.  I could dance or learn violin or write or travel or do them all. But today, I felt like none of it was for me--this world---it was for the young--and I have maybe 20 or 30 years left, if I am lucky.

And that made me not want to get off the couch, or turn on my computer to write this or face anything. Instead I kept busy - preparing food, disassembling Christmas, drinking coffee. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Don't look too close.  

You can still learn the violin, I told myself---just like I learned to knit.  But I am not knitting much now, and really, I don't even think I want to learn the violin.  

But I watch too much tv and don't go to the gym enough. Is it all a waste?  How do I know what I "should" be doing?

Should.  Like a boxing glove to the stomach, "should" leaves me breathless and disoriented.  



And then I hear it, "so long as you remain your authentic self....so long as you remain true to you....it will all be ok.

It's a light in the darkness.  It goes to the feeling...the heart...the body...the spirit.  What feels right, is right for me--for the moment I am in--with the information I have at the time.  Stay open. Wait. Trust. Dream.....







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shame is A Full-Contact Emotion (Brené Brown)

It is a cool outside this morning and I have on my fluffy red robe as I sit outside and watch the birds flit back and forth from the fence to the feeder----arrogantly tossing aside imperfect sunflower seeds to get to the good ones.   The discarded seeds, some empty, some full, punctuate my deck, waiting for the squirrels, who will later claim this easy buffet. I am still reading Brené and The Gifts of Imperfection. Feels a bit like learning a new language ---I see the words---I hear the words---but the meaning is so diffuse...I need to read and reread and sometimes, even read out loud to make the words stick It is hard work.    And while the smooth cover of her book lies balanced on my palm, seemingly weightless, many of the concepts have a density that knocks me flat on my ass ---like a large medicine ball. CATCH THIS ONE!   Oooooooof!   I am down.    Eyes wide, trying to catch my breath, wrestling with the weight of hefty concepts like shame, authenticity, wholeh

Asking for Help

My oldest son walked into the kitchen last night while I was drying the pot I had just used to make marshmallow squares.  He leaned against the wall, eyes downcast, unfocused and spoke in a soft voice: "Mom.  Tomorrow.  Just so you know.  Something has happened and I cannot remember a SINGLE thing about ANY of the stuff that will be on the exam.  So.  Just so you aren't expecting anything.  I am going to fail the exam.  Probably need summer school.  Will have to quit my job.  Will get my university offer rescinded. But it is probably too late for summer school so.  It is just all over." I put down the pot and gave him a hug.  (no hug back) I told him it was fine. He was fine. He remembered stuff--he had an 87 going into the exam! You can't have marks like that if you don't remember stuff?! Right? I could see the tears forming in his eyes.  He still wouldn't look at me. "Ok.  Get your jacket we are going for a walk.  Your brain is in overload a

Getting to Know My Neighbor in Type B

As a self identified "Type A" behavior "enthusiast", getting to know my neighbor in "Type B" might help me get a handle on why I too often feel like I am banging my head against a wall at work.    But before I get too far, after all, there are a bazillion "self assessment" tests out there from, " What potato chip flavor are you ?" to " Which Prince outfit are you ?" In the 1950's, two cardiologists, Friedman and Rosenman used Type A and Type B as a way to describe behavioral responses associated with how male patients with heard conditions responded to stress in their waiting room.    They observed that some of the men actually wore down the edges of the seats from sitting poised on the edges of the seat and jumping up frequently, (labelled Type A) while others were able to relax in their seats and the wear on the chairs was focused more evenly (labelled Type B).   They went on to invest