Skip to main content

Time for Reflection


This time last year looked very different for me.  It included early mornings, meditation, some reading, cooking, errands, writing.  I indulged in tending the vegetable garden, hanging flower baskets and flower beds and sitting in my small world of my back deck, visiting the birds, with a warm dog on my lap and one at my feet.  


I indulged in comfortable, stretchy skirts and tights, lots of bare feet that allowed me to move and flow and feel connected to my body and the world around me.  Visits with Sista and her Lemon on Thursdays provided support and love and laughter.  The backyard second home was up and Youngest and I indulged in fresh, outdoor, cricket serenaded sleepovers almost every night.

I smiled more, and people smiled back.  I slept better, ate better, exercised more and practised self-care so that I could be a better me---for me.   (Which has the lovely side effect of making you a better you for those around you!)

Now, I am back to work, fulltime, with a full plate of projects and a looming reassignment.  Youngest and Middle are both playing baseball up to 6 days a week between them and Oldest is living back home on an eight month co-op placement, commuting to the city each day via train.  Middle lives with us fulltime now and the house is busy and hectic with more mouths and hands and hearts and needs and wants and personalities.


"This is too much for you!"

"You are better than most people at work, you NEED to prove it!"
"No wonder
you are gaining weight, you stopped going to the gym so much loser!"
"See you have started forgetting things you are so busy, does this seem familiar? You are headed for another crash!"
"Do you know what you should be doing instead of sitting watching Youngest play baseball!!!!  You are wasting time!" 


Yolanda, who embodies them all looks at me with raised eyebrow, head tilted to the left, evaluating my ability to defend against this propaganda.  It's a strategy thing---when to let them loose so they can do the most damage.  


I see the challenge in front of me.  They are reaching out around her, eager to fly at me and grab hold.

But I SEE them.  And that is why she waits.  

I recognize that with work and baseball and dogs and three hungry, growing boys who require rides and food and clothes and clean things to wear.  I acknowledge that work is about to ask a whole lot more of me which may creep in to my carefully protected 9-5.  I see the numbers on the scale and I am aware that some of my food choices have been motivated by lack of time to prepare.

"This is too much for you!" becomes: this is a lot for anyone--I recognize some days may be stressful and I may be tired and I may not get it all done. That's OK!

"People wonder what value you have at work after being off for 2 years.  You need to prove yourself!" becomes, I have so many new tools to manage change and stress and people that it is reflected in my work. Who I am and what I do speaks for itself.  

"No wonder you are gaining weight, you stopped going to the gym so much loser!" becomes:  I can't possibly fit the same amount of gym time into my week, so I will go when I can, try to get out for walks at lunch and stay healthy.


"See you have started forgetting things you are so busy, does this seem familiar? You are headed for another crash!" becomes :  I AM busy.  I have more things to manage than I have in a long time.  I may forget things as I work to find better ways to remember everything. I will work on this.


"Do you know what you should be doing instead of sitting watching Youngest play baseball!!!! 

You are wasting time!"  becomes:  baseball time is a time to connect with my child and other parents and feel a part of a community.  Not only is it a social experience for me, I get to, not HAVE TO, spend time supporting Youngest in what has turned out to be, something he loves to do and is GOOD AT!!!  I cannot do it all and have made choices to let some things go to make room for this.  Baseball time is self-care time for me as well!

The IMGs fall silent.  I think I was shouting that last one.  Yolanda turns, and extending her arms, herding the crestfallen IMGs back to where ever they live when their voices are small.  

They'll be back ......

...and I'll still be here....

a work in progress.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...

Guidepost #7 Cultivating Play and Rest

The sky, dark blue fading to purple, then  pink and orange---in this instant --- it is hard to tell if it is the morning or night.  Perhaps in contradiction to the title, I am up early to write.  This is my playtime.  Writing is something that brings me both joy and a sense of accomplishment.  The Adult Day Treatment Program was my what kept me anchored to reality during the early months of my collapse.  Learning about anxiety, medications, depression, relaxation all made sense tome--had value--and could be immediately applied to my situation.  I took copious notes, I participated in class, I reflected, I did what I know best---see problem---tackle problem. What was difficult for me, was understanding the value of our "recreation" hour (a.k.a. crafts or games). I remember feeling a bit like I was in a movie or on some gag reel and I was the only one not in on the joke as people moved to pick up half painted wooden b...