Skip to main content

Return to Work (in Progress) Part Two - How Six Magic Words Changed My Perspective


After months of sorting out the details, a return to work date was set.  I had a month.  
 
That sounds like a long time.  If you work full time right now and someone said you had a month off work it would feel like forever and you would probably howl with delight, fist pumping your way around the office.  Having been off work for almost two years, a month felt like a moment away.  
 
Twelve trips to the gym, four weekends, only a few more chances to spend the day with Sista....how could I possibly get everything done that I wanted to do before I went back?
 
Tick-tock.  Tick-tock.
 
A grinding of gears heralded the resumption of the countdown clock that
overshadowed my eight week adult day treatment program. A deadline....a deadly line.... slipping through my fingers as I desperately grasped at each lesson, at each session  because I only had 40 days to be "fixed", become capable, balanced, competent and whole.
 
Only the tick-tock was my heart...pounding with the realization that the fence was down and the "big world" countdown clock was blazing in red neon.  Time was up.  No more stalling.  Sh*t or get off the pot time.  
 
My first inclination was to e-mail everyone I knew and tell them of my panic. Those who I went through ADTP and MAG would "get it".  So I posted:
 
 "I have a return to work date....woah..."  and waited.  
 
A few hours later I noticed that someone had commented on my post.  Eager to unload my panic I clicked through to Facebook and saw:
 
"You got this!" from CG....and
 
"Awesome! Good Stuff!" from DP.
 
Woah.....a rush of energy flooded my body.  I read the messages again.  
 
I was expecting "OMG --how are you feeling?"  and was prepared to launch into a lengthy diatribe of worry and stress and uncertainty--because that was my go to.  
 
It was like walking into a closed glass patio door...KA-Pow!!  Stopped in my tracks!  Someone thought I was capable...someone thought I was strong...and someone thought going back to work was good and me actually going was good
 
Einstein said something like: "the definition of insanity is doing things the same way over and over and expecting different results."   So maybe I needed to see this return to work in a different way.  
 
Maybe it was a good thing?
 
One more step back. 
 
Maybe it was neither good or bad...it just was.  I was going back to work.  Feel.  Be brave.  Go with the flow.  Trust.  Receive this support and love and belief from others. 
 
 
 
So I stopped talking about it.  If someone in my family asked, I told them I had a date.  If they asked how I felt I told them that right now I felt fine about it.  If they asked if I was stressed or worried I responded with --well, it hasn't happened yet so I want to enjoy the time I have left.  No sense worrying about it now.  I don't like to forecast the future.  It will be here soon enough and I will see then.  
 
And it didn't take anything to believe what I was saying.  Ok, not true...it took two people, the time it took them to type three words each, which might have meant nothing to them but made an entire world of difference to me.  Never under estimate the power of reaching out to someone and saying I see you, I believe in you, you got this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shame is A Full-Contact Emotion (Brené Brown)

It is a cool outside this morning and I have on my fluffy red robe as I sit outside and watch the birds flit back and forth from the fence to the feeder----arrogantly tossing aside imperfect sunflower seeds to get to the good ones.   The discarded seeds, some empty, some full, punctuate my deck, waiting for the squirrels, who will later claim this easy buffet. I am still reading Brené and The Gifts of Imperfection. Feels a bit like learning a new language ---I see the words---I hear the words---but the meaning is so diffuse...I need to read and reread and sometimes, even read out loud to make the words stick It is hard work.    And while the smooth cover of her book lies balanced on my palm, seemingly weightless, many of the concepts have a density that knocks me flat on my ass ---like a large medicine ball. CATCH THIS ONE!   Oooooooof!   I am down.    Eyes wide, trying to catch my breath, wrestling with the weight of hefty concepts like shame, authenticity, wholeh

Asking for Help

My oldest son walked into the kitchen last night while I was drying the pot I had just used to make marshmallow squares.  He leaned against the wall, eyes downcast, unfocused and spoke in a soft voice: "Mom.  Tomorrow.  Just so you know.  Something has happened and I cannot remember a SINGLE thing about ANY of the stuff that will be on the exam.  So.  Just so you aren't expecting anything.  I am going to fail the exam.  Probably need summer school.  Will have to quit my job.  Will get my university offer rescinded. But it is probably too late for summer school so.  It is just all over." I put down the pot and gave him a hug.  (no hug back) I told him it was fine. He was fine. He remembered stuff--he had an 87 going into the exam! You can't have marks like that if you don't remember stuff?! Right? I could see the tears forming in his eyes.  He still wouldn't look at me. "Ok.  Get your jacket we are going for a walk.  Your brain is in overload a

Being Enough

I am grateful that the chapters in The Gifts of Imperfection are short.  Each one overflows with concepts that ask you to reach down to your very core and dig around a bit with a sharp object.  Sometimes you have to pull back and take a break.  Like at the dentist...when you have to put your hand up...they let you close your mouth for a minute....you stretch your jaw....rinse maybe.  "You ok to continue?" You lie back, take a breath, try to get comfortable, open up, look at the outline of the hand holding the drill backlit by that horrible light...and nod. Not to say it is all bad.  But this chapter on Exploring the Power of Love, Belonging, and Being Enough made me uncomfortable in my skin.  I squinted a lot.  Really, really trying to get at what she was saying without having to feel what she is saying....which is not the purpose.  So I had to read the chapter a few times.  Then I fiddled around on Facebook and Outlook to avoid starting this post. She starts out