Skip to main content

Return to Work (in Progress) Part Two - How Six Magic Words Changed My Perspective


After months of sorting out the details, a return to work date was set.  I had a month.  
 
That sounds like a long time.  If you work full time right now and someone said you had a month off work it would feel like forever and you would probably howl with delight, fist pumping your way around the office.  Having been off work for almost two years, a month felt like a moment away.  
 
Twelve trips to the gym, four weekends, only a few more chances to spend the day with Sista....how could I possibly get everything done that I wanted to do before I went back?
 
Tick-tock.  Tick-tock.
 
A grinding of gears heralded the resumption of the countdown clock that
overshadowed my eight week adult day treatment program. A deadline....a deadly line.... slipping through my fingers as I desperately grasped at each lesson, at each session  because I only had 40 days to be "fixed", become capable, balanced, competent and whole.
 
Only the tick-tock was my heart...pounding with the realization that the fence was down and the "big world" countdown clock was blazing in red neon.  Time was up.  No more stalling.  Sh*t or get off the pot time.  
 
My first inclination was to e-mail everyone I knew and tell them of my panic. Those who I went through ADTP and MAG would "get it".  So I posted:
 
 "I have a return to work date....woah..."  and waited.  
 
A few hours later I noticed that someone had commented on my post.  Eager to unload my panic I clicked through to Facebook and saw:
 
"You got this!" from CG....and
 
"Awesome! Good Stuff!" from DP.
 
Woah.....a rush of energy flooded my body.  I read the messages again.  
 
I was expecting "OMG --how are you feeling?"  and was prepared to launch into a lengthy diatribe of worry and stress and uncertainty--because that was my go to.  
 
It was like walking into a closed glass patio door...KA-Pow!!  Stopped in my tracks!  Someone thought I was capable...someone thought I was strong...and someone thought going back to work was good and me actually going was good
 
Einstein said something like: "the definition of insanity is doing things the same way over and over and expecting different results."   So maybe I needed to see this return to work in a different way.  
 
Maybe it was a good thing?
 
One more step back. 
 
Maybe it was neither good or bad...it just was.  I was going back to work.  Feel.  Be brave.  Go with the flow.  Trust.  Receive this support and love and belief from others. 
 
 
 
So I stopped talking about it.  If someone in my family asked, I told them I had a date.  If they asked how I felt I told them that right now I felt fine about it.  If they asked if I was stressed or worried I responded with --well, it hasn't happened yet so I want to enjoy the time I have left.  No sense worrying about it now.  I don't like to forecast the future.  It will be here soon enough and I will see then.  
 
And it didn't take anything to believe what I was saying.  Ok, not true...it took two people, the time it took them to type three words each, which might have meant nothing to them but made an entire world of difference to me.  Never under estimate the power of reaching out to someone and saying I see you, I believe in you, you got this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...

Guidepost #7 Cultivating Play and Rest

The sky, dark blue fading to purple, then  pink and orange---in this instant --- it is hard to tell if it is the morning or night.  Perhaps in contradiction to the title, I am up early to write.  This is my playtime.  Writing is something that brings me both joy and a sense of accomplishment.  The Adult Day Treatment Program was my what kept me anchored to reality during the early months of my collapse.  Learning about anxiety, medications, depression, relaxation all made sense tome--had value--and could be immediately applied to my situation.  I took copious notes, I participated in class, I reflected, I did what I know best---see problem---tackle problem. What was difficult for me, was understanding the value of our "recreation" hour (a.k.a. crafts or games). I remember feeling a bit like I was in a movie or on some gag reel and I was the only one not in on the joke as people moved to pick up half painted wooden b...