Skip to main content

Flipping the Mirror

At the end of the adult day treatment program, we had to pass around a certificate and have it signed by all the other participants.  This was an opportunity for people to wish you well and everyone had to write something, even if they had just started the program that week.  It was a final exercise in giving and receiving with an open heart.  The instructor collected them at the end of the session and then would pass them out to those of us "graduating" as we left the room.

During the course of the program I had shared my history of divorce, single motherhood, return to school, moving across country, bankruptcy ---the shame of being unable to work at this time---the feeling like this was not a "real" condition---and my debilitating fear of having to face people at work (how would I talk to them? What would I say? How would any of them take me seriously? Would they tease me? Talk behind my back? Treat me like I was broken?). 

I had also learned I had some serious problems with perfectionism and was desperate to show that through doing things well, I had worth, value and could justify my place in this world.  I had sobbed in front of my therapist more than once as I tried to break through this "shield of perfectionism" (as Brene Brown calls it) that prevented me from letting people see the real me--afraid that I would not be good enough.  

The scariest part was  I  had this shield for so long, I didn't know who the real me was.  Instead of spending time just sitting with thoughts, I filled my calendar, cleaned my house, watched a movie, etc. just to avoid spending time alone with me.  I even justified my TV time by making sure I also have laundry to fold!

I also learned along the way that I had some serious anger issues from work and when I got wound up talking about it, those around me saw a part of me I don't let out often because it is like trying to manage a kitchen fire.  Throw water on it and you are in for an out of control raging blaze.  Try to put a pot lid over it to smother it and you have to be very very careful---because while the flame will go out, the heat is still there.


As the sheets of those who started the program with me came and went, it was easy to find things to write on each page.  Each of them were brave and honest, thoughtful and real,  and through sharing their stories, I had come to recognize their story in mine, and mine in theirs. 

No matter our differences--and they ran from generation, to gender, culture and language---we all had struggled with self-compassion during challenging times.  We all battled anxiety and depression, were on some kind of medication for it but had worked hard five days a week for eight weeks to better understand ourselves, the world and were ready to take responsibility for continuing to work toward a healthier, happier life.

At the end of class, I retrieved my sheet from the instructor and stared in disbelief at the lengthy praise.  In this program, I was ready to receive--help, guidance, support---I was not ready to ready how I had been able to do this exact thing for others.  This was when I recognized the spark of what used to burn so brightly in my soul....the desire to make a difference.  Those who started the program in the weeks following my start spoke of how I had made them feel welcome, really listened to them, confirmed for them that they were  NOT crazy and helped them dare to speak their truth.  

Only now, a year later, can I take this piece of paper from its special place and read what was written and believe that it really is me that made an impact on others.  It has whet my appetite for more of this wonderful feeling---much like when I do Reiki, I get far more out of it than I give!    I am finally able to flip the mirror and see what everyone else saw that day.  Someone ready to inspire, lead, encourage and support others who want to do the soul work it takes to get to the good stuff!

Perhaps that will be my next Work in Progress....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Guidepost #7 Cultivating Play and Rest

The sky, dark blue fading to purple, then  pink and orange---in this instant --- it is hard to tell if it is the morning or night.  Perhaps in contradiction to the title, I am up early to write.  This is my playtime.  Writing is something that brings me both joy and a sense of accomplishment.  The Adult Day Treatment Program was my what kept me anchored to reality during the early months of my collapse.  Learning about anxiety, medications, depression, relaxation all made sense tome--had value--and could be immediately applied to my situation.  I took copious notes, I participated in class, I reflected, I did what I know best---see problem---tackle problem. What was difficult for me, was understanding the value of our "recreation" hour (a.k.a. crafts or games). I remember feeling a bit like I was in a movie or on some gag reel and I was the only one not in on the joke as people moved to pick up half painted wooden b...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...