Skip to main content

The Sign of Spring

Like most people with kids---I have done "the McDonald's thing".  Something about the uniform taste of the chicken nuggets ---fries---the toy---oh yeah THE TOY--that appeals to kids.  

The end of a long day of work or errands --and it is too easy to give in to the drive-thru.  After eating...all of the "dishes" go into recycling...except the toy which vanishes into the pit of the toy box...usually never to be seen or referred to again.  (Even though when the toy was missing from the bag, I went BACK through the long drive-thru line to assuage the flow of tears coming from the back seat. Sigh)

About four years ago, my youngest had just finished his "Happy Meal"---when he suddenly began to look a little green. He ran upstairs and got to "enjoy" his meal again in reverse order.  That was the end of McDonalds in our house.

So for me, there is one reason and one reason ONLY to go to McDonalds now.  SHAMROCK SHAKE.  While the nutritional information is not listed, probably because it is a seasonal shake, I am not sure there could be any number on it that would make me NOT want to have my ONE shake per year!

For some people ---Roll up the Rim at Tim Hortons is the first sign of spring.  For me ---it is the green of the Shamrock Shake!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...

The Four Agreements - The Baseline

  So I bought the book.  It's smaller than I thought it would be.  Since I am always hoping that the solution to an problem can be found if you just look long and hard enough, I'm still not sure if short means it's an easy solution, or no solution at all. The book itself has some singing endorsements from many self-help gurus who I don't know other than by name.   It's disheartening to me to realize that there are thousands of folks out there preaching their brand of "if you just knew this, did this and continued to strive for excellence every day" because if any of them had the real secret (ah yes, then there is "The Secret") we would only really need one book/podcast/app etc. Thirty years ago the self help section at Chapters filled one rack top to bottom.  Looking for this book, I had to wander through ISLES of self-help, wellness and  spirituality before I found what I was looking for. How Chapters has evolved into a pillow/candle/water bottl...