Skip to main content

Losing it....It's the Little Red Dress All Over Again

Exhaling, zipper up,  material straining across hips, thighs compressed, the truth of my lack of motivation to do anything about my weight stared at me in the mirror in the form of a muffin top.
Joy, confidence and self-worth sat discarded like the cotton, blue and while flowered sundress I'd abandoned in favor of something warmer as the sky shifted from light blue to pinks and purples.  They whispering amongst themselves, and refused to look my way when I tried to catch their eye.  
These were my too-big-size-six-Old Navy-on-sale-I-know-I-am-a-perfect-size-four-at-Old-Navy-but-they-were-on-sale--capris.  As purple spread across the sky I slipped a loose sweatshirt over my head that covered the offense, reminding myself to look up a recent post I had done on being defeated by a red dress....how long ago was that? 
Time is a slippery thing.  WeekENDs do not distinguish themselves from weekDAYS in summer when you have one child home, one working days and weekends and The Spouse travels a lot for work. Without much attention, weeks often come together to form months and I am continually amazed that I am flipping calendar pages.  The red dress post was a few weeks ago surely.  Searching, searching.....ok let's try page two.  Ah there it is. WHAT???? JUNE????
I started to read,  dumbfounded that 8 weeks had passed. Surely the computer date stamp was incorrect. No gym. No treadmill at home. No walks with L.  Really????

Ah but wait (no pun intended)  I HAD done something about it.  After reading the post (and correcting some parts --oh yes--long live the perfectionista!) I had talked about feeling comfortable with my new shape if I was in the appropriate clothes.  Well the one thing I had certainly done over the past two months was purchase comfortable clothes.  Elastic waist band skirts, empire waist dresses, A-line tank tops....and size 10 capri pants.

Ahhhh yes....now I see. 

So I am conflicted.  For right now, I am this new shape.  While the medications are responsible for some of it (I am back on the Amitriptyline and my family doctor says the Lyrica is another pain medication responsible for weight gain), larger, stretchy clothes allowed me to shift my focus away from what I looked liked to who I wanted to be as a person. This is s a good thing.
But the muffin' makin' capri pants were also a good reminder that I set a goal two month ago and I should revisit it to see if it is still important to me and am I able to successfully retake it on right now.
However, the best day to start a new project is TODAY.  The right time to start a new project is RIGHT NOW. So today, I will start to put a little more yoga in my yoga pants; a little more walking in my walking shoes, and little more dance in my dance class (by finding one again!). 
I will start slow and ramp up for when my youngest is back in school and I can get into a rhythm that works for me. 
 
Note to self:  Goal setting is a tool.  One to motivate you.  It is not used to beat you into a ball of failure and shame.  Writing down your goals and revisiting them to check in on your progress, make some revisions, additions or deletions is the important part that requires some attention from me. 

Thanks too-SMALL-size-six-Old Navy-on-sale-I-know-I-am-a-perfect-size-EIGHT-at-Old-Navy-but-they-were-on-sale--capris.

Added note:  One of my bffs, M, has registered herself for a half marathon.  Woah.  I have vowed to train along side her, my goal less lofty, but having a partner in health will be healthful for me!  Have downloaded Runkeeper on my smartphone so we can celebrate any training we do.


Comments

  1. Goal-oriented fitness is the only way to go! I'm with you sista!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Guidepost #7 Cultivating Play and Rest

The sky, dark blue fading to purple, then  pink and orange---in this instant --- it is hard to tell if it is the morning or night.  Perhaps in contradiction to the title, I am up early to write.  This is my playtime.  Writing is something that brings me both joy and a sense of accomplishment.  The Adult Day Treatment Program was my what kept me anchored to reality during the early months of my collapse.  Learning about anxiety, medications, depression, relaxation all made sense tome--had value--and could be immediately applied to my situation.  I took copious notes, I participated in class, I reflected, I did what I know best---see problem---tackle problem. What was difficult for me, was understanding the value of our "recreation" hour (a.k.a. crafts or games). I remember feeling a bit like I was in a movie or on some gag reel and I was the only one not in on the joke as people moved to pick up half painted wooden b...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...