Skip to main content

Practicing Love and Belonging


"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."
Princess Leia to Grand Moff Tarkin[src]
 
 This is how I feel about what I am reading lately.  Almost, almost, almost.....damn....gone!
 
Breaking it down is might help.  Love.
 
Is it possible to love others more than ourselves?  Absolutely.  
 
Last night snuggled up in bed, I said, "I love you always and forever." 
 
He wiggled a little in my arms.  "But mom....... what if I did something really, really bad?  Would you still love me?" (Parents of a teenage girl were just convicted of her brutal beating that led to her death--he must be listening to conversations when he is in bed...)
 
"Absolutely.  I will always love you."
 
Yet when we make the smallest omission--misplace our keys, forget milk, miss a deadline--we call ourselves stupid, idiot, incapable--instead of love ourselves. When we continue to say yes when we can't possibly take on one more thing, when we refuse to buy clothes until we are skinnier, when we swallow our opinion and agree with the disagreeable ---we send the message to others and ourselves that our time, our bodies and our opinions are not worth anything--we do not love ourselves enough to be ourselves. 
 
I was floundering in this chapter until I came upon a quote Brene Brown borrowed from Bell Hooks' work "All About Love" which brought everything into perspective.
 
To begin by always thinking of love as an action rather than a feeling is one way in which anyone using the word in this manner automatically assumes accountability and responsibility.
 

So if love is an action...like trying to sink a basketball...you have to practice to get good at it. I practice love with my kids every single day.  With special breakfast.  Sudden hugs.  Demands for a kiss on the cheek before my 17 year old leaves for work...or at night...every single day.  With sharing stories, getting slushies, watching fireworks, teaching them, learning from them, listening, laughing and asking for their time.  Watching them sleep and feeling full and warm and wonderful.

 
Do I practice this with my spouse?  Hmmmmm...ouch!  Ouch.  I would love to say yes.  That is why this work is uncomfortable.  I am good at practicing love with my kids.  I SUCK at it with my spouse.  Message received. 
 
It is hard when you feel like you don't want to put out that effort. It's hhhhhaaaaaaaaaarrrrddddd!!!! I don't waaaaaaaannnnnaaaaaa!
 
Practicing something you are not good at is hard.  I mean just because you are good at baking doesn't mean you are good at cooking necessarily even though many of the concepts are the same. (This I know! ) 
 
Yes these are examples of me making excuses. This is me ...pouting..not wanting to leave the park.


ARGH!
 
Work in Friggin' Process......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...

The Four Agreements - The Baseline

  So I bought the book.  It's smaller than I thought it would be.  Since I am always hoping that the solution to an problem can be found if you just look long and hard enough, I'm still not sure if short means it's an easy solution, or no solution at all. The book itself has some singing endorsements from many self-help gurus who I don't know other than by name.   It's disheartening to me to realize that there are thousands of folks out there preaching their brand of "if you just knew this, did this and continued to strive for excellence every day" because if any of them had the real secret (ah yes, then there is "The Secret") we would only really need one book/podcast/app etc. Thirty years ago the self help section at Chapters filled one rack top to bottom.  Looking for this book, I had to wander through ISLES of self-help, wellness and  spirituality before I found what I was looking for. How Chapters has evolved into a pillow/candle/water bottl...

Putting the Personality Puzzle Together

Youngest is 11 now and has grown a new appendage.  It's called his phone, which in reality is just an alternative gaming device in his eyes.   Good news is, he is usually quick to answer it if I call him because he usually has it in his hand.   Bad news, his "clashing of clans"  or "dashing of geometry" prompt radical mood changes on the success or failure of little armies and racing cogs. Spouse and I are as much to blame in some ways.  Sometimes it is easy to just let them quietly be........so I can quietly be. However, as last Christmas approached, we all had a discussion about family and finding more balance between games, reading, tv, movies, etc.    Santa Clause must have heard us and brought us a few puzzles for Christmas. So in early January, with a week before school was back in and Middle at his mom's and Oldest back at school, I busted out one of the puzzles, poured some hot cocoa and started the long task of fl...