Skip to main content

Borrowing a Little Teddy.....

Today I am going to borrow from a man that has been responsible for bringing a significant joy to my life.  Whether large or small, no matter the color (I prefer brown actually) teddy bears have played a key role in my happiness. 
 
From left to right: Little Lion, Teddy Bar and Teddy Bunny.
At age 46 I still sleep with teddy bears, take them on business trips, my honeymoon, on our cruise, to my mothers when we visit (but I have back up teddy bears there).  When I die, I want to be buried with my favorite teddy bear rapped in my arms (perhaps a little Egyptian there but no cats will die, no soldiers entombed, just the bear)---and currently that role would fall to "Teddy Bar".  Originally he was a gift to my youngest from his grandparents. Sensitive to his allergies, they bought him an "allergy" bear that could be washed a million times to reduce the dust and dust mites.  My son was a year old and thought the bear was cute, but as kids do, he latched on to another stuffed toy----a gift from a friend upon meeting him--- "Little Lion"(you can see my son was not big on naming his stuffed friends as anything else than what they were) as his favorite a year or so after receiving him. So "Teddy Bar" became mine.  
 

 
 
Below is a quote from Teddy Rosevelt---an excerpt from the speech "Citizenship In a Republic" delivered at the Sorbonne, in Paris, France 23 of April, 1910.  It is commonly referred to as "The Man in the Arena" and is one of the things that inspired Brene Brown's book "Daring Greatly".
 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man
stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit
belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by
dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short
again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but            
who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the
great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best
knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he
fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with
those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
 
Lessons I take from this:
Every day, showing up as your perfectly imperfect self counts
Every day, acknowledge you are doing your best in a world that is imperfect
You will make mistakes--you are not perfect and neither is anyone else. 
Failure does not define you.  Do not let what you can't do stop you from doing what you can
Every day, giving your best effort is enough
Every day, there may be someone who judges you - let them - just don't judge yourself
Continuing to try at something that matters means more chance of joy, learning, and success
Trying and failing is better than not trying at all
 
I wonder if everyone would see it this way? 
 
 
 
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...

Guidepost #7 Cultivating Play and Rest

The sky, dark blue fading to purple, then  pink and orange---in this instant --- it is hard to tell if it is the morning or night.  Perhaps in contradiction to the title, I am up early to write.  This is my playtime.  Writing is something that brings me both joy and a sense of accomplishment.  The Adult Day Treatment Program was my what kept me anchored to reality during the early months of my collapse.  Learning about anxiety, medications, depression, relaxation all made sense tome--had value--and could be immediately applied to my situation.  I took copious notes, I participated in class, I reflected, I did what I know best---see problem---tackle problem. What was difficult for me, was understanding the value of our "recreation" hour (a.k.a. crafts or games). I remember feeling a bit like I was in a movie or on some gag reel and I was the only one not in on the joke as people moved to pick up half painted wooden b...