Skip to main content

Mask #1 Foreboding Joy - (part 2)

One of the things I found very stressful during the 8 week adult day treatment program I attended each day after leaving the hospital, was being left at the edge of a cliff when the clock announced each class was over.  Sometimes the discussion was animated or the material too vast to cover in the time assigned but I always wanted to know what I was supposed to DO about my anger issues/panic attacks/perfectionism/low self-esteem (most of which I didn't even recognize as part of my life until I attended the program ).  The worst day was when the doctor   talked about  panic attacks --what one is, what chemicals are being released in your body, what one feels like (for people like me who have them)---and then saying...."Oops we are out of time, so next week when we meet we will discuss what to DO when you feel a panic attack coming." 

What?!  Really?!!

Not quite as bad as being left hanging, was the constant "TICK, TOCK" of the clock running down on
the 8 weeks I had in the program.  I needed answers, and a plan, and I needed them NOW  so I could hurry up and get better. After all, I thought, I only have these 8 weeks to get FIXED!!

I begged my psychiatrist on the last day of the program:  "Just tell me I will be all right?  Do you think I will be all right?  I mean, just tell me what to do to get better and I will do it!"

He chuckled in his low Lion King sort of rumbly voice, leaned back in his chair, cocked his head to the side, a slow smile lifting the corners of his mouth and said, "Oh, you know I cannot do that."   His voice had such authority...if he had told me to scale the CN Tower to get better I would have put on a Spiderman suit and grabbed the next train to Toronto.  "Everyone is different.  Only you know what you must do for yourself."

I slumped down in my chair defeated. That was the problem.  I DIDN'T know what to do.  I mean I thought I might know a couple of things.....  In the 8 week day program we had sessions on relaxation, we did exercise, we did leisure time activities and I had a binder fully of strategies (one of the first pieces of advice we gave noobs to the program was get a binder---a big one). So maybe I can tackle what to do with this first mask of foreboding joy.....

At first, when I read about Brene Brown's masks of vulnerability I thought--foreboding Joy did not apply to me.  But suddenly, I see it as a huge barrier to me experiencing joy in my life.  So how do I deal with the foreboding joy mask?  What have I learned?  Today has been a day of physical things and trying to accomplish a project.  So I think I will take another day to reflect on how to "fix" this mask problem...and think more on where Joy comes from in my little world.

(See??  Being left at the edge when you want the answer is not fun!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...

Guidepost #7 Cultivating Play and Rest

The sky, dark blue fading to purple, then  pink and orange---in this instant --- it is hard to tell if it is the morning or night.  Perhaps in contradiction to the title, I am up early to write.  This is my playtime.  Writing is something that brings me both joy and a sense of accomplishment.  The Adult Day Treatment Program was my what kept me anchored to reality during the early months of my collapse.  Learning about anxiety, medications, depression, relaxation all made sense tome--had value--and could be immediately applied to my situation.  I took copious notes, I participated in class, I reflected, I did what I know best---see problem---tackle problem. What was difficult for me, was understanding the value of our "recreation" hour (a.k.a. crafts or games). I remember feeling a bit like I was in a movie or on some gag reel and I was the only one not in on the joke as people moved to pick up half painted wooden b...