Skip to main content

Doing it With the Windows Rolled Down?

I love this picture! It says so much about the moment.  Mouth agape in joyful song. Warm little fingers snaking in and out of one another with nerves.  It is a full out, full on best effort of weeks of practice.

In the audience are family and friends, lips silently moving to the words, their smiling eyes aglow behind hoisted recording devices..... pure bliss and wonder where the world seems to stop moving and nothing seems important but the moment.
When we are  young....we all love to sing and dance and perform.  Our families all clap and tell us how good we are and we feel great.  But  at some point.....most of us stop singing and dancing.  Kids start by acting shy, singing softly in school, standing on the sidelines when others dance.  Someone has either told them they are not any good --or they have somehow observed people that they feel are better than they are and have become embarrassed to do what at one point brought them such a sense of joy and expression for fear of ridicule. 

In my search for what brings me joy, and my attempts to bring more of that into my life,  I am taking a Latin line dance class.  It has a bit of ballroom, burlesque, Latin and once a week I don my heels and try to get every thing out of the class that I can!  Arms extended, hips swinging, toes pointed.  I have always loved to dance and with choosing to be socially isolated most of my life---have not had weddings, parties, stags and does to go to --so my dancing at the bars days ended in my early 30's (yes I pushed it that long....)  Dancing brings me joy.  I am a good dancer.  The energy flow from dancing connects me to the universe.  It is powerful mojo for me.

When I was in elementary school we had choir from kindergarten to grade 8. That was the only music program available to us so EVERYONE sang.  While I certainly recognized I was not going to make a career of singing. I felt I had a lovely alto voice and with a drive to get A's---I always sang in class much like the little boy above.  I even did a couple musicals at school--smaller parts but still--there was singing!

By high school a few people had suggested that if I liked music I should try band. I took the hint and had a five year, happy and solid, relationship with a trumpet. Being part of a band was an amazing experience--the power of your instrument blending with others to make something complex and complicated. I learned about the power of "the many".  When plays came up at school I waited for the "non-musical" ones and was happily on stage again.

But I still love to sing!  So--I sing in the car.  Loud.  My 8 year old and I sing together.  He and I like the same music and we turn it up loud and he teaches me words and I teach him words.  (Listening to your child sing the second verse of "The Lazy Song" will make your teeth grind---especially when it is recorded on a CD at a PD Day....) 

The problem with car singing when you live in a big city is that you often, ---ok who am I kidding--always, get caught in traffic.  This usually means facing forward, lips as still as possible---mumbling the words while perhaps --tapping your hand on your steering wheel. 

But since I am trying to invite more joy in my life I am going to try something different.  I am going to keep my music up and continue to sing along--no matter who is watching.  Either they will think I am a crazy loon (will I ever see them again?  Why do I allow their watching me crush my joy? Why am I worried what a stranger thinks of me?)  OR they will smile and shake their head, (in which case I got them to smile--which is a good thing--especially when stuck in traffic!), OR they may just flip on their radio to see what amazing song is on that has me so joyful--and start singing along!  Either way---it has nothing to do with me. 

Me--I'll be singing by lungs out in my car--maybe not yet with the windows rolled down.  One step at a time.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...

The Four Agreements - The Baseline

  So I bought the book.  It's smaller than I thought it would be.  Since I am always hoping that the solution to an problem can be found if you just look long and hard enough, I'm still not sure if short means it's an easy solution, or no solution at all. The book itself has some singing endorsements from many self-help gurus who I don't know other than by name.   It's disheartening to me to realize that there are thousands of folks out there preaching their brand of "if you just knew this, did this and continued to strive for excellence every day" because if any of them had the real secret (ah yes, then there is "The Secret") we would only really need one book/podcast/app etc. Thirty years ago the self help section at Chapters filled one rack top to bottom.  Looking for this book, I had to wander through ISLES of self-help, wellness and  spirituality before I found what I was looking for. How Chapters has evolved into a pillow/candle/water bottl...