Skip to main content

Brigid.....meet Joy.....Joy....meet Brigid.



One of the first things I think I have to do is acknowledge that bad things do happen.  Just look at the news any day.  But by tempering any joy with a sense of foreboding doom you can't experience the true "Ka-POW" of ANY joy.  Whether it is a matter of I don't think I deserve to be happy (something I struggle with now while being off work ---and getting waves of feeling like why can't I just suck it up and get back at it) or I believe that being joyful is tempting fate to dump a truck load of misery on my doorstep--I am not sure.  Probably a bit of both working there. 

So assuage foreboding joy--I guess I have to slowly, cautiously invite Joy in--while employing lots of positive self talk.

I remember on my first day of the adult day treatment program, the recreation therapist rolled a cart full of pains and paintbrushes, sticker, markers, pots, boxes and other craft supplies into the room.  She explained the importance of recreation in recovery.  There were maybe 16 of us -- and for five of us it was our first day. had one hour for arts and crafts.  "Senior" patients rolled out a paint splattered tarp over the table and began to converge on the cart.  I was going to sit at a table with these strangers and do a craft for an hour ---really??

"You are never too old to have a happy childhood!  You need to think about what makes you happy and do that!"  I had no idea what made me happy other than being left alone.  Seriously, I could not think of a single thing (well snuggling my 8 year old but...) something just for me?  Blank stare....

So I painted a clay pot--blue and green--and added stickers--and put a clear coat over top.  The hour flew buy and I couldn't believe how much I had enjoyed painting.  I was always a bit crafty but Ka-POW--there it was---a moment of Joy.  No time for the foreboding...it just snuck up on me. 

Tapping into joy, without foreboding, means you are opening yourself up to emotions in general.  This is the tricky part because it opens you up to being vulnerable.  Fortunately, I never thought about how I might feel if I got paint on myself....if someone criticised my work.... I just painted. 

And what happened was, the other patients said they liked what I did, they thought I did a good job, and it was pretty.  I felt great!  Hmmmm Joy feeds Joy and it grows.  By the end, everyone was complimenting each others work, or efforts at least.  Woah.  This was new......

So painting connected to the artistic/crafty me that I had forgotten about.  One of the common signs of depression is when you stop doing what you love.  I loved being creative, I loved using my hand...and any item I have made whether if brings me joy or made me laugh has a story attached to it and was born from a passion to create. At the time, I definitely wanted more of that.

How can I bring more Joy into my life?  One way is through creative expression.  And while the finished product is good--the process of creating is even better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the Gap

I have been browsing my writing. Just a few samples here and there. Noting the gaps--like the big one where I posted on the eve of 2020 not knowing a global pandemic would shut down the world and then didn't post again until just last week. Feels like that would have been a good time to write. During a pandemic.  Write about survival mode, collecting oldest and his gf from their rental to camp out in our basement bedroom for five months, the middle home as college was closed and R and I getting a week to figure out how to be online college instructors. There were days of washing groceries, yelling at my mom and step-dad to get their asses home from Florida before the boarder closed and scouring the internet for toilet paper and masks. It was exhausting and scary and bitterness flowed unhampered at every #qualitytimewiththekiddos" posting of crafts and puzzles and tiktok dances from those who found themselves at home, not working.  It was all hands on deck at our place wi...

Guidepost #7 Cultivating Play and Rest

The sky, dark blue fading to purple, then  pink and orange---in this instant --- it is hard to tell if it is the morning or night.  Perhaps in contradiction to the title, I am up early to write.  This is my playtime.  Writing is something that brings me both joy and a sense of accomplishment.  The Adult Day Treatment Program was my what kept me anchored to reality during the early months of my collapse.  Learning about anxiety, medications, depression, relaxation all made sense tome--had value--and could be immediately applied to my situation.  I took copious notes, I participated in class, I reflected, I did what I know best---see problem---tackle problem. What was difficult for me, was understanding the value of our "recreation" hour (a.k.a. crafts or games). I remember feeling a bit like I was in a movie or on some gag reel and I was the only one not in on the joke as people moved to pick up half painted wooden b...

Keeping Afloat in Darkness - When Robin Williams is Gone

A few weeks ago Robin Williams was everywhere you looked. People were desperate for details; to find the one thing that assured them that his situation was so different from theirs that they are safe; that it could never be them. But if you suffer from depression, the suicide of such a brilliant, successful, individual; part of our lives for so many years and responsible for so many laughs; looks like a leak in your boat. A friend asked me, "Ok but no one knows what the future holds.  Could he not see that?" For someone drowning in the dark spiral of depression, there is no future. There is only now. There is only nothing.  The boat is gone.  You are under. It is not about your spouse or your friends or your kids or career or fans or dogs or anything.  When the darkness squeezes it is all about now.  And now is nothing.  It is bleak and empty and so dark, you cannot see a bottom, or edges or surface ---just darkness. "Some...