Skip to main content

Retreat!!!


One thing I know is true...words carry energy.   
They are flush with it.  
It overflows into the universe.

Retreat is one of those words.

Yelled on a battle field, it signals withdrawing.. from a hazardous or unpleasant position or condition. It is associated with failure to advance, inability to achieve a goal and implies "you lose". The energy flows in waves-----shame, weakness, fear, anger, despair.

Prefaced by "weekend" or "meditation", retreat carries a completely different energy.  One of peace, safety, introspection, exploration, relaxation and contemplation.

Last weekend I took part in a Wellness Retreat about 2 hours from my home, outside of Cobourg Ontario. 

Retreat, in this case, encompasses both definitions.  

Frustrated by a block somewhere in my flow of energy (failure to advance) I felt stuck--thigh high, soul sucking, mud stuck. That is how it starts.  

I have been in full retreat mode before.  Drowning in anger, fear, shame--unable to advance--beating a hasty retreat to a hospital bed waving a white flag of surrender.

Now,  I am smart enough to go get help.  

So I went to my Naturopath.  Who mentioned a Wellness Retreat she was organizing, just weeks away. I had to go.  The universe offered up the chance to surrender to the muck and mire, stop struggling and just be. 

The feminine energy would provide a peaceful, safe environment to recharge my batteries, to contemplate what I know to be true.

I am enough.  

It is hard to say.  Try it! 
(Now say it like to mean it.)

I am enough.  Just me.  Just doing what I can do. Each day.  

I am enough.  

While I would love to be able to articulate in a meaningful way how the weekend went, it is impossible.  

I laughed each day.  I cried each day.  

Baby birds reminded me how beautiful and delicate new life is.  However ready we are to fly, we all have our own time, our own moment. 

The million brilliant points of light--the delicate swirl of far away galaxies--punctuated by speedy satellites zipping by brought wonder at the how tiny we all are---how our time here on this earth is but a blink in the history of the universe.  Awesome.  

Women from all walks of life, each with a story to tell. Judgement free.  
Laughter 'till your belly hurts.  
Tissues passed around while soft souls cradled the pain of others.  
Revelations.  
Reminders.  
Refresh. 
Rebirth.

Sharing food, nourishing the body and soul with companionship.  

Feeding your spirit as well as blessing your body with whole foods to allow it to carry you forward on your path.

Crackling fires.  Meditation.  Yoga. 

I am enough.  

I am not the maid, the cook or the chauffeur.  

My worth is not enumerated by a completed checklist, but by what have I done for myself today to nourish my body, mind, and spirit so that the energy I contribute to the world will provide me with the strength to face the challenges that are out there. 

While I can retreat for a weekend to regroup and recharge, the one thing that remains constant in life is that problems happen.  On firmer ground, moving forward I can face them with a better sense of faith, peace, love and compassion.  

I am enough.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shame is A Full-Contact Emotion (Brené Brown)

It is a cool outside this morning and I have on my fluffy red robe as I sit outside and watch the birds flit back and forth from the fence to the feeder----arrogantly tossing aside imperfect sunflower seeds to get to the good ones.   The discarded seeds, some empty, some full, punctuate my deck, waiting for the squirrels, who will later claim this easy buffet. I am still reading Brené and The Gifts of Imperfection. Feels a bit like learning a new language ---I see the words---I hear the words---but the meaning is so diffuse...I need to read and reread and sometimes, even read out loud to make the words stick It is hard work.    And while the smooth cover of her book lies balanced on my palm, seemingly weightless, many of the concepts have a density that knocks me flat on my ass ---like a large medicine ball. CATCH THIS ONE!   Oooooooof!   I am down.    Eyes wide, trying to catch my breath, wrestling with the weight of hefty concepts like shame, authenticity, wholeh

Asking for Help

My oldest son walked into the kitchen last night while I was drying the pot I had just used to make marshmallow squares.  He leaned against the wall, eyes downcast, unfocused and spoke in a soft voice: "Mom.  Tomorrow.  Just so you know.  Something has happened and I cannot remember a SINGLE thing about ANY of the stuff that will be on the exam.  So.  Just so you aren't expecting anything.  I am going to fail the exam.  Probably need summer school.  Will have to quit my job.  Will get my university offer rescinded. But it is probably too late for summer school so.  It is just all over." I put down the pot and gave him a hug.  (no hug back) I told him it was fine. He was fine. He remembered stuff--he had an 87 going into the exam! You can't have marks like that if you don't remember stuff?! Right? I could see the tears forming in his eyes.  He still wouldn't look at me. "Ok.  Get your jacket we are going for a walk.  Your brain is in overload a

Getting to Know My Neighbor in Type B

As a self identified "Type A" behavior "enthusiast", getting to know my neighbor in "Type B" might help me get a handle on why I too often feel like I am banging my head against a wall at work.    But before I get too far, after all, there are a bazillion "self assessment" tests out there from, " What potato chip flavor are you ?" to " Which Prince outfit are you ?" In the 1950's, two cardiologists, Friedman and Rosenman used Type A and Type B as a way to describe behavioral responses associated with how male patients with heard conditions responded to stress in their waiting room.    They observed that some of the men actually wore down the edges of the seats from sitting poised on the edges of the seat and jumping up frequently, (labelled Type A) while others were able to relax in their seats and the wear on the chairs was focused more evenly (labelled Type B).   They went on to invest